WKBN 27 First News in Youngstown, Ohio is looking for a capital "J" Journalist to report big city news in a small market. Just check out our website to see the political scandals, crimes and investigative stories we cover.
The Video Journalist position will create live and pre-recorded stories for 3 network affiliates and a fast-growing digital news source operating out of multiple studios in our building. VJs are expected to shoot, edit, write, produce and fill-in on the anchor desk. We believe in live coverage and expect multiple live shots on every shift.
You'll work in a #1 rated, Murrow, Emmy® and AP award winning newsroom. You'll also get to live in a community with great food, great people and the largest city park in Ohio. If you like to get outdoors after work, check out Mill Creek Metroparks. Youngstown is also midway between Pittsburgh and Cleveland. You can be at a Browns or Steelers game in about an hour.
The successful candidate will have a track record of working efficiently, multi-tasking and trouble-shooting in order to successfully meet challenging deadlines. You will excel at enterprising story ideas, developing sources and working a specific beat.
Please be sure to include a link to your work in your resume.
JOB SUMMARY: Research, writing, capturing visual content and editing general assignment stories for multiple platforms.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
* Produce content for multiple platforms, including TV, internet, mobile, etc.
* Work with management to enterprise and develop stories on a daily basis.
* Demonstrate compelling storytelling using dynamic live shots and stand-ups, creative graphics, and use of digital and social media platforms.
* Organize material, determine angle or emphasis, and write story according to prescribed editorial style and format standards.
* Gather and verify factual information regarding stories through interview, observation and research.
* Knowledge of broadcast quality camera equipment.
* Conflict management.
* Detail oriented.
* Demonstrate editorial judgment using knowledge of journalism ethics and libel laws.
* Strong on-air reporting, writing, and technical skills.
Education/Experience: Bachelors degree Journalism required (equivalent years of experience may substitute for education) + (3) three years experience as a multi-platform journalist.
Training/Equipment: Camera and camera equipment.
Work Environment/Mental/Physical Requirements: Position requires the operation of camera, camera equipment, computer and editing machine, and transport of equipment weighing up to 60 lbs. High stress environment with deadline pressures. Travel will be required on a regular basis. Work may be performed in extreme outdoor temperatures. A valid driver's license and an acceptable driving record are required.
NOTE: This job description contains the basic requirements for the position and is NOT intended to be a complete list of responsibilities; other duties may be assigned.
********* EOE/MINORITIES/FEMALES/VETERANS/DISABLED *********