The multi-media journalist is responsible for researching, writing, capturing visual content and editing stories for multiple platforms.
• Receives assignment or evaluates news leads and news tips to develop story ideas.
• Gathers and verifies factual information regarding stories through interview, observation, and research.
• Organizes material, determines slant or emphasis, and writes story according to prescribed editorial style and format standards.
• Shoots video and still photos to illustrate stories.
• Edits, or assists in editing, videos for all multimedia platforms.
• Appears on television program when conducting taped interview or narration
• Gives live reports from site of event or mobile broadcast unit.
• Work cooperatively with photographer assigned to story, if one is assigned.
• Assist news producer in preparing newscast.
• Assist online staff in preparing for multi media stories.
• Report, write, capture quality visual content, edit and produce stories for multiple platforms on deadline, such as Internet and digital channels.
Education & Experience/Certifications
• Bachelors degree in broadcast journalism or related degree or equivalent years of experience
• Minimum of two years of experience
Skills & Abilities
• Computer literacy required, including newsroom computer systems.
• Videography and non-linear editing experience preferred.
• Knowledge of broadcast quality camera equipment.
• Edit video on Final Cut Pro editing systems, or similar equipment.
• Strong broadcast and AP style writing skills.
• Proficient at posting content to various websites.
• Self-motivated and able to work in a fast-paced deadline-driven environment.
• Valid Driver's License, good driving record and provide certificate of insurability with company required insurance limits.
• Must be able to lift 40 pounds.
Internal candidates please apply through WorkLife. External candidates apply at www.scripps.com/careers.
The E. W. Scripps Company is an equal opportunity employer.