WKBN 27 First News in Youngstown, Ohio is looking for a capital "J" Journalist to lead our top-rated weekend evening newscast, covering big city news in a small market. This is NOT a job for a beginner. Just check out our website to see the political scandals, crimes and investigative stories we cover.
This position will anchor the 6PM, and produce and anchor the 10PM and 11PM newscasts on our CBS and FOX stations each weekend. This is a chance to strengthen anchoring and reporting skills with great tools in a serious news station that plays bigger than its market size. WKBN offers a state-of-the-art virtual reality set to showcase our investigative, in-depth local news brand. In the last 5 years, we’ve won multiple AP, Emmy and Murrow awards.
The other 3 days a week, this job will create live and pre-recorded stories for 3 network affiliates and fast-growing, dominant digital news platforms operating out of multiple studios in our building. VJs are expected to shoot, edit, write, and produce. We believe in live coverage and expect live shots on every shift.
You'll also get to live in a community with great food, great people and the largest city park in Ohio. If you like to get outdoors after work, check out Mill Creek Metroparks. Youngstown is also midway between Pittsburgh and Cleveland. You can be at a Browns, Steelers, Pirates or Indians game in about an hour.
The successful candidate will have at least 1 year of experience on-air in a commercial television station, along with a track record of working efficiently, multi-tasking and trouble-shooting in order to successfully meet challenging deadlines. You will excel at enterprising story ideas, developing sources and working a specific beat.
Please be sure to include a link to your work in your resume.
JOB SUMMARY: Researching, writing, capturing visual content and editing general assignment stories for multiple platforms.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
• Produce content for multiple platforms, including TV, internet, mobile, etc.
• Work with management to enterprise and develop stories on a daily basis.
• Demonstrate compelling storytelling using dynamic live shots and stand-ups, creative graphics, and use of digital and social media platforms.
• Organize material, determine angle or emphasis, and write story according to prescribed editorial style and format standards.
• Gather and verify factual information regarding stories through interview, observation and research.
• Knowledge of broadcast quality camera equipment.
• Conflict management.
• Detail oriented.
• Demonstrate editorial judgment using knowledge of journalism ethics and libel laws.
• Strong on-air reporting, writing, and technical skills.
Education/Experience: Bachelor’s degree Journalism required (equivalent years of experience may substitute for education) + (1) one year experience as a multi-platform journalist.
Training/Equipment: Camera and camera equipment.
Work Environment/Mental/Physical Requirements: Position requires the operation of camera, camera equipment, computer and editing machine, and transport of equipment weighing up to 60 lbs. High stress environment with deadline pressures. Travel will be required on a regular basis. Work may be performed in extreme outdoor temperatures. A valid driver's license and an acceptable driving record are required.
NOTE: This job description contains the basic requirements for the position and is NOT intended to be a complete list of responsibilities; other duties may be assigned.
********* EOE/MINORITIES/FEMALES/VETERANS/DISABLED *********