ABC15 Arizona is looking for a passionate meteorologist to join our Desert Doppler team. It's not just the extreme heat that makes Arizona a dynamic weather market to live and work in. Our Monsoon storms and high country snow make for an ever-changing forecast. Owning weather is a station priority, and we have the tools to back that up, including a new weather graphics system, helicopter and a mobile LiveDrive vehicle well-suited for tracking storms. Our team and our company value innovation to improve product and to grow our business for the next generation of news consumers.
This position is for anchoring weather forecasts in our weekend evening newscasts, with backup for other dayparts and the potential for weather-related reporting.
The weekend meteorologist is responsible for preparing and delivering dynamics weather reports for our newscasts and digital platforms.
• Prepare and deliver daily weathercasts utilizing all available weather data and graphics computers.
• Prepare and deliver urgent weather updates interrupting regular programming as necessary.
• Prepare and deliver all weathercast materials over a variety of mediums, including, but not limited to: TV, Radio, Internet.
• Assist management in evaluations of potential new weather data gathering and presentation computers.
• Receives assignment or evaluates news leads and news tips to develop story ideas.
• Report live from event sites or mobile broadcast unit.
• Write and produce quality news stories for multiple media platforms.
• Report, write, capture visual content, edit and produce stories for multiple platforms on deadline, such as Internet and digital channels.
• Work cooperatively with photographer assigned to story, if one is assigned.
• Gathers and verifies factual information regarding stories through interview, observation, and research.
• Perform other duties as needed and assigned.
Education & Experience/Certifications:
• Bachelor's degree in journalism, meteorology or related field preferred.
• NWS and/or AMS seal preferred.
• Computer literacy required, including weather and newsroom computer systems.
• Knowledge of broadcast quality camera equipment.
• Knowledge of Final Cut Pro editing systems, or similar editing equipment.
• Strong broadcast and AP style writing skills.
• Proficient at posting content to various websites.
• Self-motivated and able to work in a fast-paced deadline-driven environment.
• Must be able to drive for company business and/or in a company vehicle.
• Driving required. Valid Driver's License, good driving record and ability to provide proof of insurability with company required insurance limits.
If you have a link to your recent work, please cut and paste your link into your profile.
The E.W. Scripps Company (NYSE: SSP) serves audiences and businesses through a growing portfolio of television, radio and digital media brands. Scripps is one of the nation's largest independent TV station owners, with 33 television stations in 24 markets and a reach of nearly one in five U.S. households. It also owns 34 radio stations in eight markets. Scripps also runs an expanding collection of local and national digital journalism and information businesses, including multi-platform satire and humor brand Cracked, podcast industry leader Midroll Media and over-the-top video news service Newsy. Scripps also produces television shows including "The List" and "The Now," runs an award-winning investigative reporting newsroom in Washington, D.C., and serves as the long-time steward of the nation's largest, most successful and longest-running educational program, the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Founded in 1878, Scripps has held for decades to the motto, "Give light and the people will find their own way."
As an equal employment opportunity employer, The E.W. Scripps Company and its affiliates do not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis on race, sex, sexual orientation, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law. Furthermore, the company will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship for the company.
The Perks at ABC15:
• A #thinkDIFFERENT culture that values new ideas, and actually acts on them.
• One of the most beautiful TV station buildings you'll ever work within!
• Voted BEST news website and BEST evening newscast in the Valley. We love to win, but we don't brag (too much).
• A place where your work gets seen and interacted with by millions of people each and every month.
• 300 sunny days each year, along with the best "winter" you'll ever experience!
• A culture that values leaders at every level and puts a premium on promoting from within.
• Generous paid time-off policies that start from day one.
• A commitment to YOUR health that includes full benefits and annual wellness incentives.
• A place where you can feel proud of where you work, knowing the station's commitment is to take action for our community and make Arizona a better place to live.
TELEVISION STATION KNXV ABC15 IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER