Education Bachelor's Degree
Career Level Experienced (Non-Manager)
Location Nexstar - WFLA - Tampa, FL 33606 US (Primary)
Job Type Full-time
The Anchor/Reporter will wear two hats in our newsroom. This person will anchor weekend AM newscasts & report during the week. That may include some fill-in anchor work on other newscasts. As a reporter, this person reports, writes, voices news production content for all platforms in a manner that is clear, engaging and meaningful to news consumers. The ability to shoot and/or edit is a plus but not required. This position reports to the news director and/or AM executive producer.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
• Read and deliver solid news scripts for multiple hours on air.
• Adlib during breaking news.
• Turn a PKG after each weekend AM anchor shift for the PM newscasts.
• Perform multiple live shots for AM newscast before hitting the street to turn a story for dayside.
• Report news stories for broadcast, describing the background and details of events.
• Arrange interviews with people who can provide information about stories.
• Review copy and correct errors in content, grammar and punctuation, following prescribed editorial style and formatting guidelines.
• Review and evaluate notes taken about event aspects in order to isolate pertinent facts and details.
• Determine a story's emphasis, length and format, and organizes material accordingly.
• Research and analyze background information related to news stories in order to be able to provide complete and accurate information.
• Gather information about events through research, interviews, experience or attendance at political, news, sports, artistic, social or other functions.
• Pitch stories to news managers and news producers which are relevant to the local community.
• Receive assignments and evaluate leads and tips to develop story ideas.
• Discuss issues with producers and/or news managers to establish priorities or positions.
• Check reference materials such as books, news files or public records to obtain relevant facts.
• Revise work to meet editorial approval or to fit time requirements.
• Produce and present reports for all platforms.
• Ensure that all content meets company standards for journalistic integrity and production quality.
• Write stories for the web and other E-Media platforms.
• Interact with viewers/users on social media sites.
• Perform special projects and other duties as assigned.