Video Broadcast Engineer (WTVI-PBS Charlotte)
Job ID: req2787
Position Closing Date: January 23, 2018
General Function and Job Duties
Establishes and maintains maintenance procedures and periodic checks to ensure high quality performance of electronic equipment.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
1. Inspect, test and repair all television broadcast equipment.
2. Performs routine maintenance and repair on TV studio and editing system equipment. Ensure critical updates are performed on studio and broadcast equipment. Complete FCC required weekly documentation on Tower light checks and EAS messages received and transmitted. Work with Joint Master Control in Syracuse, NY to perform maintenance of onsite Spoke equipment.
3. Installs, maintains, repairs and operates WTVI’s Broadcast communications equipment.
4. Work with RF Consulting Engineer on the FCC Mandated repack.
5. Have knowledge of camera shading, production workflow, master control operation.
6. Understand Audio and Video patch panel and routing systems.
7. Work with editing staff on the transfer of media needed for productions and transfers to JMCO for broadcast.
8. Have knowledge of audio signal flow for live audio console.
9. Have knowledge of video signal flow, tally, and IP connections for studio production switch.
10. Take remote transmitter reading and tower light checks daily.
11. Work with WTVI Traffic department to ensure all locally produced material required for broadcast has been delivered to JMCO.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Characteristics
• Knowledge of principles and practices of broadcast engineering including government rules and regulations
• Knowledge of principles of digital and analog communications systems
• Knowledge of usage, design, repair, maintenance, and installation of technical broadcast systems
• Skilled in supervising the work of others
• Effective communication skills
• Extreme attention to detail, ability to report for duty at odd hours as needed
Bachelor’s Degree from a regionally accredited institution in Electronics Engineering, Broadcasting, or related field and four years’ experience in broadcast equipment, system design, repair and installation Or Associate’s Degree from a regionally accredited institution in Electronics, Broadcasting or related field and six years’ experience in broadcast equipment, system design, repair and installation.
Society of Broadcast Engineers certification
A completed CPCC application must be completed on-line. During the on-line application process, applicants will be prompted to upload or build a cover letter and resume.
College transcripts (if required for the position) must be attached on-line in the “additional documents” section of the application process.
Applicants that do not have an electronic copy of their transcripts, or find the electronic copy is rejected on-line due to the file size, may fax their transcripts to (704) 330-6066 for attachment to the on-line application.
All applications must be received in the Human Resources office by 11:59 p.m. on the closing date posted to be guaranteed for consideration. Applications of qualified candidates received after this date may be considered at the discretion of the hiring manager.
Conditions of Employment
Salary for this position is $42,935 – $65,260. Pay grade for this position is K. Initial placement for new employees is customarily at entry level through 25% percentile. Contract type is Professional. Ability to work a flexible schedule, which may include off-shift hours, evening and weekend assignments may be required of any position. All positions are subject to budget approval. CPCC offers an excellent benefits package to full-time employees including Health, Dental, Vision, Retirement, Life Insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, Education Benefits, Disability and more.
Position Closing Date: Ongoing
General Function and Job Duties:
PBS Charlotte is looking for an experienced freelance reporter. The position would primarily consist of accompanying a videographer on shoots for stories airing on the station’s weekly program “Carolina Impact.”
Characteristics Duties and Responsibilities:
You will be responsible for logging interviews, writing a package and voice tracking your story. You will be paid a flat rate upon completion of the five-minute story.
Applicant must have at least two years of journalism experience and be an excellent storyteller. You must also know how to manage your time and meet deadlines.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Worker Characteristics:
• Strong communications skills
• Works well independently and with a team
• Computer and office skills
• Excellent writing skills
• Attention to detail
• Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced and highly collaborative environment
• Strong time management and organizational skills.
How to apply:
Email links to 2-3 samples of packages that have aired on TV a program to Jeffrey.Rivenbark@cpcc.edu and put Freelance Reporter in the subject line.