One of the top-rated stations in the country is now seeking a Nightside Executive Producer to improve our product, grow the talents and skills of the people on our staff, strengthen our key demographics on television, and grow our audience on digital and social platforms.
WTVF Newschannel 5 is the #1 rated Scripps-owned station in Nashville, Tennessee (DMA #29). Each weekday, the Newschannel 5 team produces 6.5 hours of local news.
NewsChannel 5 has built the resources to win in the past, win now, and win in the future. Our resources include a new set and the market's only dedicated morning news helicopter. In addition, the power of Scripps' national network of local news operations and digital businesses provides a reach and an opportunity no other company can match.
Whether it's for the music, the explosion of new restaurants or entertainment venues, the "IT" city is the destination of thousands, with nearly 100 people a day moving to Music City.
Key activities and requirements:
• Improve the quality of our evening newscasts. We need someone with a strong producing background who has a proven track record of thinking big picture. This person will implement best practices in production and content to grow our audience, especially those in targeted demographics.
• Coordinate content and presentation across all platforms (broadcast/digital/social).
• Supervise pre-production and live production to ensure quality and ethical standards and cooperation between production staff and editorial staff.
• Supervise the writing of content, including but not limited to stories, tease, headlines, digital copy and social posts.
• Manage schedules, overtime and performance for assigned direct reports, including but not limited to semi-annual reviews.
• Demonstration of editorial judgment. Knowledge of journalistic ethics and applicable laws.
• Develop other peoples' skills and leadership. We need someone who can show they have history of growing others, especially producers.
• Listen, learn, assess challenges and opportunities, collaborate to find solutions, and implement change. You should have a healthy appetite for risk in trying something new.
• You must be good with multitasking and prioritization in order to meet deadlines.
• Even in an active newsroom, you should bring an easy-going, confident attitude to be able to fit in with and lead our team.
• Perform other duties as assigned, including fill-in line producing.
Education & Experience/Certifications:
• Bachelor's degree in journalism, communication or related field preferred.
• 6-8 years journalism experience.
Skills & Abilities:
• Knowledge and demonstration of editorial judgment, journalistic ethics and libel laws.
• Ability to create tactics and strategies to increase demo performance in key target areas for multiple platforms.
• Have working knowledge of federal, state and local laws impacting operations.
• Advanced oral and written communication skills.
• Broad understanding of newsroom operations and equipment.
• Proven ability to manage multiple tasks in a fast paced environment.
Internal candidates please apply through WorkLife. External candidates apply at www.scripps.com/careers.
The E. W. Scripps Company is an equal opportunity employer.