The award-winning and #1 rated WKBN-TV in Youngstown, Ohio has an immediate opening for an energetic and aggressive Newscast Producer with solid news judgment, strong writing skills, a great work ethic and the passion to win.
We're looking for someone who realizes their competition isn't just a few clicks down the remote, but it comes in many forms: smartphones, DVRs, streaming video and social media. To land this job, you should format newscasts as "nowcasts" with a sense of pacing and energy. You should also embrace digital platforms as a way to tell the stories in your newscast, and think about the web in building your storytelling instead of an afterthought.
This position will require the ability to work independently and multi-task: respond to breaking and developing news, monitor phones, scanners, emails, websites, and sister stations for story ideas and to assign crews and make beat calls. Producers in our newsroom are working journalists. You will be rewriting wire, feed and reporter stories to fit one of the two brands on our three network affiliated stations here in Youngstown.
You'll also get to live in a community with great food, great people and Ohio's largest city park. If you like to get outdoors after work, check out Mill Creek Metroparks. Youngstown is also midway between Pittsburgh and Cleveland. You can be at a Browns or Steelers game in an hour.
JOB SUMMARY: The producer delivers and contributes accurate, visual, news content across all media platforms.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
* Responsible for evaluating stories; organizing them into a cohesive sequence within a newscast or digital content for the web.
* Oversees writing, production, and timing of broadcast or on-line publication.
* Define strategic direction for content coverage to meet business objectives.
* Manage news room, contribute to the editorial process and make solid decisions in breaking news situations.
* Monitor postproduction processes to ensure accurate completion of details.
* Execute strategies that engage and grow audiences across all digital devices.
* Write, produce and edit material that appeals to target audiences.
* Research production topics using the internet, video archives, and other information sources.
* Must be able to interact well with video journalists, anchors, videographers, news managers, production and engineering staff.
* Detail oriented; proficient in non-linear editing.
* Excellent verbal, written, grammar and analytical skills.
* Strong news judgment, journalistic integrity and understanding of viewer needs and expectations.
* Knowledge of media production, communication and dissemination techniques and methods, including alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
* Ability to meet quality standards for service & evaluate customer satisfaction.
* Proficient in non-linear editing.
Education/Experience: Bachelor Degree in Communications, TV/film or equivalent experience may substitute + 5 years experience in television or radio broadcast/production.
Training/Equipment: Utilize state-of-the-art television technology; MS Outlook, E-mail.
Work Environment/Physical Requirements: High stress environment with deadline pressures. Some travel may be required on an occasional basis.
NOTE: This job description contains the basic requirements for the position and is NOT intended to be a complete list of responsibilities; other duties may be assigned.
********* EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER/MINORITIES/FEMALES/VETERANS/DISABLED *********