WGCL-TV, a Meredith station is seeking an Assistant News Director. The Assistant News Director is one of the most critical positions in the newsroom. This position understands, embraces and implements newsroom long term and short term strategy. This position provides leadership in the newsroom. The Assistant News Director plays a critical role in story development with reporters and reviews scripts for accuracy, legal issues, content, value, relevance, grammar and overall direction. This role is actively involved in recruiting newsroom personnel and oversees hiring for certain job categories. The Assistant News Director serves as the primary point of contact in the newsroom when the News Director is unavailable. This position actively engages in putting content on the web and directs the newsroom to support a multi-platform environment.
II. Essential Job Functions
Weight % Accountabilities, Actions and Expected Measurable Results
60% Supervises newsroom operations. Reviews scripts, works with newsroom assets and other departments. Oversees daily editorial content on web.
30% Performs administrative functions; coordinating schedules; approves time sheets; coordinates projects.
10% Assists with news strategy planning and breaking news coverage.
III. Minimum Qualifications and Job Requirements | All must be met to be considered.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Broadcasting or Journalism or equivalent training and/or experience.
Experience: Minimum of two years experience as an Executive Producer and/or Assistant New Director. Must possess previous show and writing experience. Previous experience with iNews preferred as well as Avid.
• Specific Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Strong journalism, broadcast, news writing and web skills
• Strong project management skills
• Ability to maintain confidential information
• Must possess a network in the industry to identify up and coming talent
• Must demonstrate fairness and sensitivity in all interactions with employees and news subjects, stressing fairness, balance and consistency
• Ability to work in a team-oriented environment
% Travel Required (Approximate): 5%