Category: Media - Journalism - Newspaper
Position/Title: Broadcast Engineer
Primary Industry: Broadcasting - Radio - TV
Manage Others: No
WKYC- TV in Cleveland, OH is searching for a skilled Broadcast Engineer to join its Engineering Staff. The Broadcast Engineer is responsible for the day-to-day hands-on maintenance of the technical infrastructure at WKYC- TV. This position is responsible for the integration, maintenance, operation, and support of broadcast and business information technology systems and reports to the Head of Technology. The job involves providing local network administration and supporting broadcast software and hardware as well as traditional desktop services. They will respond quickly to provide technical support for news, sales, and other content production operations. This role is hourly, and union represented.
• Support day to day operations of broadcast information technology systems, software, and equipment.
• Maintain, upgrade and support broadcast information technology throughout the station and studio facility.
• Troubleshoot and repair computer hardware, software and peripherals, including network servers, storage, switches, network operating systems, LAN cabling, system security and virus protection.
• Manage file servers, network shares and routine backups for onsite and offsite data protection.
• Support network security, network rights, naming standards, login scripts, and software upgrades.
• Create and maintain wiring and system configuration documentation.
• Maintain knowledge and stay current on technological advances including computer software and hardware, media and entertainment technologies, television broadcasting, studio production and workstation products.
• Train on IT and Broadcast system operation and maintenance to service all aspects of the television and digital environment.
• Work closely with the Head of Technology, technical support staff and corporate IT support. They will effectively communicate the status of problems, provide progress updates on projects and offer solutions to technical issues.
• Other duties as directed.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value the benefits of diversity in our workplace.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Date Posted: 9/25/2019
Closing Date: 1/22/2020
City: Cleveland - 44114
Experience: 3 Year(s)
• Degree in Engineering, Computer Science or IT related field.
• Minimum 3 years of managing mission critical IT environments at a TV station, production facility or related tech operation.
• Experience in field operations including ENG/SNG trucks, satellite, microwave, and IP news-gathering technologies is a plus.
• Solid understanding of current broadcast systems, network technologies, servers, desktop, monitoring, end user support and Microsoft's Active Directory environment.
• Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively with all levels of management and non-technical end users.
• Ability to lift up to 50 lbs., climb ladders and work on elevated surfaces, pull and install wiring, use hand and power tools, work on small components, and perform other physical tasks.
• Have experience with broadcast automation, graphics, editors, switchers, routers, audio consoles, etc.
• Have experience with or knowledge of Windows 2008-2012 Server and Active Directory in a complex LAN and WAN computing environment.
• Possess strong multitasking and project management skills.
• Ability to work various hours and days including weekends, overnights, and holidays.
• Be a self-starter, a team player. Be able to perform well under pressure and deadlines and focused on quality customer service for internal customers.