ABC15 in Phoenix is looking for innovative leaders to help over oversee our cross-platform content gathering. Our Real-Time Editors act as the heart of our newsroom, responsible for story scouting, field crew management and digital producing for our web/mobile/social platforms. This position merges traditional assignment desk and web producing responsibilities into a role focused on stories first and platform second.
• Identify breaking news in real-time and aggressively gather facts for cross-platform distribution by managing all internal and external content. Prepare for cross-platform distribution.
• Write, edit and optimize digital story content as it is gathered for the web, with story-by-story direction from Executive Producer of Real-Time Desk.
• Assign and manage field crew placement and technical logistics, including but not limited to live truck placement, satellite time bookings, resource needs, etc.
• Work as a savvy social media expert by crafting content for station accounts that actively engage and interact with our audience, in line with standards set by Executive Producer of Real-Time Desk.
• Monitors station email and scanners in real-time to stay ahead of stories as they occur in the community.
• Apply knowledge of the dynamics of digital media as well as television content distribution, and actively work to gather elements advantageous to both platforms.
• Oversee the completion of assignments, including planning, assigning, monitoring and reviewing progress and accuracy of work, evaluating results, etc.
• Act as a research partner to field crews, helping to foster enterprise story news gathering.
• Perform other duties as needed and directed by the Executive Producer, Real-Time Desk.
Education & Experience/Certifications
• BS/BA in Journalism or related discipline.
• Minimum 2 years of experience in content gathering and/or distribution background. Preferred focus in digital media, content management systems, basic HTML, image editing, web and TV-style writing and social networking.
Skills & Abilities
• Excellent verbal, written and social media communication skills.
• Identifies key barriers/core problems and applies problem-solving skills in order to deal creatively with complex situations.
• Thinks strategically to be competitive and innovative in a crowded marketplace. Troubleshoots and resolves complex problems.
• Operates with considerable latitude; independently performs assignments to results expected; determines and develops approach to solutions.
• Working knowledge of industry technologies and practices.
• Computer skills including Microsoft Office, social media programs and newsroom computer systems, including iNews.
• Ability to collaborate well in a team and make decisions quickly during any type of coverage.
• Ability to work independently, and effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment by remaining calm under pressure.
• Limited to no travel.
• Non-traditional shifts (Desk is staffed 24/7).
The E.W. Scripps Company (NASDAQ: SSP) serves audiences and businesses through a growing portfolio of local and national media brands. With 52 television stations in 36 markets, Scripps is one of the nation’s largest independent TV station owners. Scripps runs a collection of national journalism and content businesses, including Newsy, the next-generation national news network; podcast industry leader Stitcher; the fast-growing national broadcast networks Bounce, Grit, Escape, Laff and Court TV; and Triton, the global leader in digital audio technology and measurement services. Scripps runs an award-winning investigative reporting newsroom in Washington, D.C., and is the longtime steward of the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Founded in 1878, Scripps has held for decades to the motto, "Give light and the people will find their own way."
As an equal employment opportunity employer, The E.W. Scripps Company and its affiliates do not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis on race, sex, sexual orientation, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law. Furthermore, the company will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship for the company.