Gray Television supports local community interests by providing quality television broadcasting and exceptional service in each market we serve. Gray owns and/or operates television stations and leading digital properties in 93 television markets including the first or second highest rated television station in 85 markets. We are an unmatched broadcast pioneer that keeps getting bigger and better.
We constantly strive for excellence. Through upgrading to the latest technology and seeking new ways to stay on top in our markets, we focus on training and development of the best and brightest employees in the business.
For more than 60 years, ABC12 has been part of the Mid-Michigan community. Being called a leader in the industry is a responsibility and commitment we take seriously.
Providing breaking news of the day and keeping our viewers informed before, during and after severe weather is our commitment day in and day out. Reaching beyond the traditional news of the day, ABC12 is humbled to be the media partner for several events throughout the year benefiting the community we call home. If you are looking for a place to grow your career, find an opportunity to make a change or challenge your skills, the award winning team of ABC12 could be the perfect home for you too.
Seeking an individual for the News MMJ. We’re looking for a reporter, not a recorder. If you’re ready to take your storytelling to the next level, ask the tough questions and tell creative stories, we want to talk to you. This position will primarily be a MMJ role, with opportunity to also work with a photographer assigned at times. We’re looking for someone who can shoot, research, write, videotape, and edit general assignment stories for broadcast and for the web. Candidate will report on a wide range of stories from live breaking news to features. Candidate must be a dynamic storyteller with strong “live” reporting skills, and be able to shoot and edit their own material. Candidate must be able to enterprise story ideas, meet deadlines, and deliver content to the web.
Your responsibilities will include (but not be limited to) the following:
- Produces and present reports for all platforms.
- Writes, shoots and delivers stories in a clear and concise manner.
- Assists in writing, editing, researching, coordinating programming and other content as needed.
- Responds to breaking events and other urgent newsrooms situations as required.
- Works closely with the team to develop comprehensive coverage.
- Participates in promotional activities including public appearances.
- Performs special projects and other duties as assigned.
- Shoots video.
- Sets up, composes and executes video live shots.
- Maintains video equipment.
- Edits video for television broadcasts and content.
- Writes stories for the website and other social media platforms.
- Interacts with viewers and users on social media sites. Prepare and deliver segments with poise and a voice quality which is authoritative, credible, and conversational.
- On-air performance must be ad-libbed, have the ability to handle technical problems cleanly and professionally.
- Make public appearances on behalf of the station acting as an ambassador for the company.
- Must maintain professional appearance
- Bachelor's degree in Broadcast Journalism.
- Broadcast experience of at least three years is strongly preferred, this is not an entry level position.
- Preferred knowledge of ENPS.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written with the ability to ad lib when required.
- Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Write and post daily on all digital platforms including social media.
- Possess and maintain a valid driver's license with a good driving record.
- Develop story ideas, write, shoot and edit news stories for on-air broadcasting.
- Write in an exciting, captivating and authentic manner.
- Use the latest editing and photography tools to tell great stories.
- Develop original content through social listening and independent sources.
- Deliver on-air news events in an engaging, exciting, and accurate manner.
- Interview news subjects and research for facts and credibility.
- Develop sources that allow you to break stories.
- Operate news gathering vehicle to and from various locations.
- Flexibility to work any shift including nights/weekends.
- Ability to work under extreme deadline pressure and respond to late changes (be fluid).
- Ability to maintain a positive work atmosphere and behaving in a manner that will work well with co-workers, supervisors and viewers.
This is a full time position. The position includes a highly competitive compensation and benefit package which includes Paid Time Off, Medical, Dental, Vision, and life insurance. The company also offers a 401k plan with company match to plan for the long term. Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license in good standing. Must have a reliable source of transportation and be flexible on hours.
◘ Come join our team, apply online at https://gray.tv/careers#currentopenings by searching the station call letters (WJRT-TV) and attach resume ***NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE****
Gray Television provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Gray Television complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Gray Television expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Gray’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Bachelors or better.
Licenses & Certifications