WJRT is seeking an experienced Photographer as well as editing capabilities. The Photographer is responsible for shooting and editing video for broadcast each day, communicating with show producers, news reporters and directors. The Photographer is also required to operate live and broadband equipment to facilitate real-time broadcasts from the field daily. We are seeking a self-motivated team member that wants to win each day and will do what is needed to succeed. Versatility is a must!
You would be joining a newsroom that is energetic that consistently deals with breaking news, severe/disruptive weather and daily investigative reporting. This is a full time position with numerous benefits including medical, dental, vision, 401k, and accrued paid time off.
General Responsibilities/Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Shoot news video that accurately and fairly represents news stories
• Edit video and audio for broadcast, promos, and teases
• Demonstrate sound news judgment and ability to tell stories with pictures and natural sound
• Must be able to utilize non-linear editing equipment on a daily basis
• Operation of drone
• Experience with TVU and Dejero units including ability to post to websites and social media
• Properly maintain camera, editing equipment, and station vehicle
• Communicate with reporters, writers, and producers on video needed for news stories
• Operate live ENG and Broadband live equipment and related vehicles
• Keep track of edited news stories for broadcast; maintain archive
• Respond to breaking news or urgent newsroom situations
• Collect information by interviewing and taking notes as needed (e.g. news conferences)
• Responsible for ensuring all goals and objectives are being met, and training sessions are attended
• Must demonstrate the drive to grow and learn, as well as offer creativity every day
• Ability to work well with co-workers and in a professional manner
• Observe all safety regulations in-house and when in the field
• Upload raw video and still photos to the Web site
• Communicate with the web staff during breaking news
• Manage storage space in video clip bins and maintain a still photo library
• Explore ways to increase visual content on the Web site
• Working knowledge of local geography and road routes is strongly preferred
• Follow clothing and appearance guidelines
• Proactive in collaborating story ideas with news team daily
• Perform other duties as assigned
• Work evenings, weekends and holidays as needed
Qualifications/Requirements include but not limited to:
• 3 years previous news photography experience is a requirement with experience lighting shots needed
• Previous edit experience with Edius edit systems or equivalent required
• Previous ENG experience required
• SNG experience a plus
• Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism or related field preferred or degree in progress
• Valid Driver’s License and able to complete the MVR process successfully.
• Occasionally morning, evening, or weekend work is required.
• Able to shoot and edit stories, work with reporters and assignment desk
• Capable of gathering information and interviews when necessary; conduct online research
• Able to communicate clearly
• Computer literacy required, including ideally ENPS news system
• Ability to shoot and edit video in sequences and still photos that help tell the story for on-air and on-line
• Knowledge of lighting and use of natural sound
• Must possess the ability to shoot and edit on non-linear equipment, and to adapt to new technology
• Generate story ideas; identify potential stories; create and coordinate interviews; work as a team to develop and ideas
• Ability to operate news-related software is preferred
• Must be able to work well under pressure with limited supervision and daily deadlines
• Strong initiative and attention to detail is required
• Ability to remain positive and foster a positive work environment
• Understanding of and ability to follow and enforce the journalistic code of ethic
• Must be capable of working well with others in challenging work environments to produce the best product for the viewer
• Working knowledge of ENG trucks and live broadband equipment is required
• Must be able to operate station vehicles as the need and situation dictates
• Basic knowledge of web posting software/CMS (knowledge of Clickability is a plus)
• Basic working knowledge of social media
• Must be capable of utilizing 3-point lighting or capable of learning the process
• Must be able to walk for extended periods while carrying equipment, carrying up to 75 pounds
• Must be able to sit and edit in front of a computer for extended periods
• While performing the duties of this position, the employee is required to sit, walk, stand, and use hands
• Assist news producer in preparing newscast as needed
• Proficient at posting content to station website, Facebook, and twitter when called upon
A pre-employment drug screening and motor vehicle record check are required. Driving record must be kept in good standing. We are looking for self-starting, ``hands-on`` individual looking for a long time career opportunity. Passing a drug screening and motor vehicle records check are conditions of employment. Must have a reliable source of transportation and be flexible on hours as needed.
This position may require availability to work weekends, and may require holiday work. Must be willing and available to travel out of town on assignments if needed. Hours, shifts, responsibilities are flexible and are subject to change at the News Directors discretion.
Please apply online at www.gray.tv/applynow
Gray Television provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Gray Television complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Gray Television expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of [Company Name]’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.