For more than 60 years, ABC12 has been part of the Mid-Michigan community. Being called a leader in the industry is a responsibility and commitment we take seriously.
If you are looking for an opportunity to make a change or challenge your skills, the award-winning team of ABC12 could be the perfect home for you too.
JOB SUMMARY: Assignment Editor
Do you live, eat, and breathe news? Are you always in-the-know before everyone else? Are you competitive and determined to be not only first, but right? Do you dream of multi-colored planning calendars? Ready to take the lead for a staff of proven journalists? We want to talk to you.
The Assignment Editor assists in overseeing the news/content gathering on-air and online. Lead content gathering on a daily basis. Work hand-in-hand with Producers/Reporters in gathering/disseminating content in daily newscasts / online. Oversee field crews & helps to mentor/coach them daily. Strong news background required. Work with Producers to help them organize and assemble the coverage plan for the day and the future. Research, develop, and assign news stories and help lead the assignment desk. Monitoring police/fire scanners as well as news tips.
• Work/assist with planning of staffing and logistics to cover daily news and special projects.
• Work with Reporters/Producers to produce compelling and creative coverage on-air and online.
• Assist in making calls to news sources as needed, gaining appropriate and actionable information.
• Assist in finding stories with emphasis on brand points.
• Manage Reporters and their daily assignments.
• Coordinate severe weather and breaking news coverage.
• Must maintain working knowledge of current events, community issues, and extensive list of local contacts.
• Research and brainstorm story ideas and articulate the ideas so that others understand your vision for the story.
• Act as a leader in facilitating teamwork of staff members working on the newscasts.
• Able to quickly, accurately and calmly handle decision-making process during the on-air process
• Work with news management to determine which stories to air during evening newscast Communicate assignments and station changes between crews in the field and newsroom.
• Communicate with the web staff during breaking news.
• Write news stories.
• Monitor competition’s shows and websites for missed leads.
• Broadcast or Newspaper experience of at least three years is strongly preferred, this is not an entry level position.
• Ability to communicate clearly in writing or orally with accuracy /Possess working knowledge of television technology.
• Ability to stay current with national and local news/weather.
• Responds to breaking events and other urgent newsrooms situations as required.
• Works closely with the team to develop comprehensive coverage.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Demonstrate solid news judgment.
• Maintain strong journalistic ethics.
• Strong research skills, including online research using various search engines.
• Handle and adjust to last-minute changes.
• Demonstrate leadership through training and mentoring less experienced staff members; guide others to get the desired outcome.
• Ability to work under extreme deadline pressure and respond to late changes (be fluid).
This is a full-time position offering competitive salaries with a competitive benefit package that includes medical/dental/vision plans as well as a 401k plan.
Pre-employment and random drug testing, successful completion of pre-employment background check, and MVR check are conditions of employment. You must possess a valid driver’s license had have a good driving record.
If offered a position, you must produce legally required documentation demonstrating your eligibility to work in the United States before you can begin employment.
Please apply by visiting abc12.com careers and apply.
WJRT provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, WJRT complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
WJRT expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of WJRT’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.