Assistant News Director, KNXV
KNXV, The EW Scripps ABC station based in Phoenix, Arizona is looking for an experienced leader and broadcast journalist to join our news team as Assistant News Director. If you desire to work with a great team of journalism professionals in gathering, producing, and delivering stories on multiple platforms that make a difference in our communities, we want to hear from you!
Our Assistant News Director is responsible for managing daily coverage and operations of the news team and is responsible for consistently executing strategies. In this role, we require a person who will roll up their sleeves to get the job done, is highly organized, can successfully multi-task, and is focused on fostering creativity and coaching the team for growth and development.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
• Assist News Director with oversight responsibility for all news broadcasts, OTT, and online content.
• Create tactics and strategies to increase performance in key target areas for multiple platforms, through use of strong visionary, problem solving and strategic thinking skills.
• Ability to manage cross platform content creation and distribution.
• Knowledge of and proficiency in posting content to station websites.
• Write copy and edit scripts for air and web.
• Will help manage the assignment desk, assist News Director in managing station fleet and gear; and be a part of the on-call manager schedule.
• Assist News Director in the on-going evaluation of personnel. Involved in hiring and performance management of direct reports. Schedule news team staff to ensure appropriate 24/7 coverage.
• Lead coverage planning of both small and large events, including planning and oversight of special and major events.
• Proactively communicate news initiatives across departments.
• Evaluate workflow efficiencies.
• Implement and have working knowledge of federal, state and local laws impacting operations.
• Assist News Director in managing the budgetary aspects of newsroom operations.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
• Undergraduate degree in journalism, a related field or equivalent experience preferred.
• At least 5 years supervisory experience preferred in a newsroom environment.
• Social media and digital experience preferred.
WHAT YOU'LL BRING:
• Broad understanding of newsroom operations and equipment. Proven experience working well with all departments and staff within the station.
• Advanced oral and written communication skills. Ability to write, edit and facilitate the transfer of video to outside sources as needed.
• Understanding and proven ability to work the investigative process.
• Ability to foster creativity, generate new ideas and implement innovative ideas across all platforms.
• Advanced computer skills including Microsoft Office.
• Proven ability to manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
HOW WE KEEP YOU SAFE:
Consistent with our commitment to maintain a safe workplace free of known hazards, all employees and visitors are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. We also may require staying up to date on booster shots in the future based on Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and manufacturer recommendations. If you are hired, we will require you to verify that you are fully COVID-19 vaccinated by your start date, unless approved for a medical or religious exemption by Scripps in writing or any other exemptions available under applicable law. This requirement currently excludes positions located in Florida, Montana, and Tennessee due to state law.
SCRIPPS' COMMITMENT TO EQUITY, DIVERSITY, AND INCLUSION:
At Scripps, we are committed to a diverse and inclusive culture that reflects the communities we serve. We are intentional about creating an environment where employees, our audiences and other stakeholders feel valued and inspired to reach their full potential and make authentic connections. We foster a workplace culture that embraces each person’s diversity, including the extent to which they are similar or different. Scripps leaders believe that an equitable and inclusive culture is not only the right thing to do, but also a business imperative. Read more about our commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion at scripps.com.
The E.W. Scripps Company (NASDAQ: SSP) is a diversified media company focused on creating a better-informed world. As the nation’s fourth-largest local TV broadcaster, Scripps serves communities with quality, objective local journalism and operates a portfolio of 61 stations in 41 markets. The Scripps Networks reach nearly every American through the national news outlets Court TV and Newsy and popular entertainment brands ION, Bounce, Grit, Laff and Court TV Mystery. Scripps is the nation’s largest holder of broadcast spectrum. Scripps runs an award-winning investigative reporting newsroom in Washington, D.C., and is the longtime steward of the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Founded in 1878, Scripps has held for decades to the motto, “Give light and the people will find their own way.”
As an equal employment opportunity employer, The E.W. Scripps Company and its affiliates do not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis of race, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law. Furthermore, the company will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship for the company.