WJRT In Flint, Michigan is seeking a Digital News Producer.
The Digital News Producer will oversee digital content including abc12.com and a robust group of social platforms.
This Digital News Producer is responsible for supervising and coordinating all of WJRT’s digital content.
They will develop and implement a digital strategy with newsroom management to grow the audience and available content on abc12.com and WJRT’s social platforms.
The Digital News Producer will be expected to regularly update WJRT’s digital and social platforms to maintain the station’s leading edge in digital content.
By employing all available resources, they will make sure content is delivered to the region across multiple platforms with WJRT’s trusted accuracy and timeliness.
Additionally, the Digital News Producer will oversee content contributed by newsroom staff for quality and accuracy.
Enhancing existing content generated by the newsroom into compelling digital journalism by use of slideshows, videos, links, polls, live streams, live chats and other features to tell the story.
Digital New Producer will be leaned upon for generating ideas for digital content. Gather news/breaking news with mobile equipment.
Understand all methods of maximizing reach through social media. Monitor web and social media platforms for WJRT.
• A proven record of success in production and distribution of local news
• Media-related bachelor's degree or equivalent job experience in journalism
• 3+ years of experience with Web Producing a plus
• Strong writing skills and a background in digital news; HTML experience is a plus
• Proven leadership skills and excellent news judgment
• A successful track record utilizing multimedia digital assets to maximize how news is covered and distributed
• A passion for production and storytelling, combined with an unwavering commitment to journalistic ethics and standards
• A community-minded spirit and vision to expand the stations’ outreach through coverage of impactful events to the greater region we serve
• Success in growing an organization’s social and digital footprint, especially within key demographics
• Ability to work with all digital specialists to ensure social media growth
• Ability to teach and lead by example while using the latest technology
• Attend daily news meetings, and work closely with newsroom colleagues in various locations to identify and promote upcoming content on different media platforms
• Ability to cover news independently, accurately creatively and quickly under deadline pressure
• Understanding of web and social media best practices
• News judgment, decisiveness, strong ability to handle/meet deadlines needed
• Exceptional writing/grammar skills
• Knowledge of AP style and knowledge of new media
• Willingness to take direction as a team player are essential
• Highly motivated and a self-starter
• Ability to adapt and learn with the rapid pace of changes to the competitive digital environment
The Digital News Producer works within the News Department and reports to the News Director.
Candidates should also exhibit a good work ethic, strong people skills, and must maintain a professional attitude at all times.
Strong sound judgement is also a key quality expected of a candidate.
This position requires availability to work all shifts and may require holiday work.
Involvement in station initiatives and station events are necessary.
Passing a drug screening and motor vehicle records check are conditions of employment. Gray Television, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and participates in E-Verify.
Hours, shifts, responsibilities are flexible and are subject to change at the News Directors discretion.
Passing a drug screening and motor vehicle records check are conditions of employment. Must have a reliable source of transportation and be flexible on hours.
WJRT/Gray Television Group, Inc. is a drug-free company requiring pre-employment drug and background testing. WJRT/Gray Television participates in E-Verify. EOE Gray Television Group, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate because of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical handicap or marital status.
Disclaimer: The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and key responsibilities and essential duties of work performance by employees within this classification. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees to do this job. The job description is not an employment contract. Out company reserves the right to modify job duties or job descriptions at any time. Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license in good standing.