WJRT is currently accepting applications for a full-time Assignment Editor.
The Assignment Editor assists in overseeing the news and content gathering on-air and online.
This person is responsible for helping to lead the gathering of content in the field on a daily basis.
You will work hand-in-hand with the Producers/Reporters in gathering and disseminating content in daily newscasts and online.
The Assignment Editor oversees field crews and helps to mentor and coach them on daily newsgathering.
The successful Assignment Editor will have a strong reporting and/or photography background.
Working with Producers to help them organize and assemble the coverage plan for the day and the future.
Person will research , develop, and assign news stories and help lead the assignment desk.
Monitoring police/fire scanners and quickly responding for reports. Responds to news tips.
Establish and foster contacts and sources within the community, maintain current and future files for news stories.
Key contributor for story ideas for news coverages.
The Assignment Editor will assist the team in approving reporter scripts. You help coordinate severe weather, breaking news, special event and big story coverage.
You must be a good writer, and love to “produce up” coverage and win the big story.
Must possess strong communications skills both orally and written to coworkers, managers, and viewers.
Must be aware of the development and urgency of news events and have the ability to cover and translate those stories into maximum viewer interest.
The candidate must be able to work in a very dynamic environment and must be able to multi-task.
The candidate must be able to deal with all aspects of the public, and display a high degree of sensitivity to the concerns of viewers and constituencies with different points of view.
We’re seeking someone with 2+ years of News Management experience. A background in reporting, newsgathering, and/or producing is helpful.
A Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or a related field is also strongly preferred, and a valid driver’s license with a good driving record is required.
You’ll help the News Director manage the largest news staff in the market, with more resources (a drone, totally mobile field capabilities, backpack units, live trucks, a satellite truck), and new news set. Do your homework before you apply and you’ll know why this is a great opportunity.
The position offers a competitive wage and comprehensive benefit package, including group health & dental, paid time off, 401(k) and more.
Passing a drug screening and motor vehicle records check are conditions of employment. Gray Television, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and participates in E-Verify. Hours, shifts, responsibilities are flexible and are subject to change at the News Directors discretion.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Work with Reporters and Producers to produce compelling and creative coverage on-air and online
• Manage Reporters and their assignments
• Coordinate severe weather and breaking news coverage
• Prioritize, organize, and produce newscasts
• Responsible for writing clearly, concisely and conversationally
• Must maintain working knowledge of current events, community issues, and extensive list of local contacts
• Research and brainstorm story ideas and articulate the ideas so that others understand your vision for the story
• Capable of accurate video editing with an eye for visual elements and graphics that make stories understandable to the viewer
• Act as a leader in facilitating teamwork of staff members working on the newscasts
• Able to quickly, accurately and calmly handle decision-making process during the on-air process
• Engage viewers using social media
• Work/assist with planning of staffing and logistics to cover daily news and special projects
• Communicate assignments and station changes between crews in the field and newsroom
• Able to manage, mentor, and assist in leading a team of Producers and Reporters
• Able to edit video and audio on industry standard equipment
• Ability to write clearly and accurately
• Possess strong working knowledge of television technology and news gathering techniques
• Understanding of and ability to follow and enforce the journalistic code of ethics
• Able to be creative and create compelling and memorable story coverage
• Willingness to work flexible hours and possess ability to work well with co-workers
• Ability to lead others to get the outcome you need for your shows
• Strong news judgment
• Ability to handle and adjust accordingly to last-minute changes
• Strong initiative and attention to detail
• Ability to work with limited supervision
• Ability to keep up with national and local news/weather
• A leader in how to engage with fans on social media
• A “Digital First” way of thinking
Gray Television provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Gray Television complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Gray Television expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Gray Television’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Disclaimer: The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and key responsibilities and essential duties of work performance by employees within this classification. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees to do this job. The job description is not an employment contract. Out company reserves the right to modify job duties or job descriptions at any time. Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license in good standing.