ABC15 in Phoenix, AZ is on the hunt for an Investigative Journalist. This role is responsible for developing, researching, reporting, and producing high-impact investigative stories for presentation on all Scripps outlets -- digital, broadcast and with other media partners. He or she understands and embraces the goals of a digital news environment and social and multimedia -- driven by a desire to spur change through great reporting and storytelling. The investigative reporter is a team player who works closely with others to ensure that the mission and values of the company are integrated into editorial content.
• Generate, research and report short, mid and long form investigative stories.
• Use sources, documents, computer-assisted reporting, and other journalistic tools to develop, report, write and produce exclusive accountability stories and investigative projects about abuses of power, corruption and betrayals of trust by public officials and other institutions changed with functioning in the public interest.
• Coordinate with others to create excellent, audience-directed content including multi-media and social media
• Coordinate with computer-assisted reporting producer and digital team to integrate data into projects
• Develop and implement an outreach strategy for all projects at the outset of project including identifying and building reporting partnerships with Scripps properties and other media outlets and using all the tools of social media to build communities of interest.
• Compile documentation to facilitate fact checking
• Contribute to DecodeDC and collaborate with editors, reporters and producers across multiple platforms.
• Meets established deadlines
• Adheres to Code of Ethics and Editorial Standards and Practices of the company
• Travel required
• Other duties as assigned
Education & Experience/Certifications:
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
• 7-10 years of investigative journalism experience with demonstrated results
Skills & Abilities:
• Superb research, writing, and reporting skills.
• Proven track record to manage multiple tasks and ongoing projects in a fast-paced environment
• Understanding of and experience with distribution outlets for broadcast and digital
• Strong analytical, research, and investigative skills
• Advanced problem-solving skills
• Commitment and ability to continue to develop sources
• Knowledge of and experience with social media
• Excellent interpersonal skills and the capacity to work well with a diverse group of individuals
• Proven ability to manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
• Demonstrated desire to continue to learn about emerging media and apply knowledge to work
• Must exhibit high standards of accuracy and fairness
• Ability to take initiative, receive constructive feedback, and work with minimal supervision
• Team player who works well in a collaborative environment
• Commitment to the values and mission of the company
The E.W. Scripps Company (NYSE: SSP) serves audiences and businesses through a growing portfolio of television, radio and digital media brands. With 33 television stations, Scripps is one of the nation's largest independent TV station owners. Scripps runs an expanding collection of local and national journalism and content businesses, including Newsy, the next-generation national news network; podcast industry leader Midroll Media; and fast-growing national broadcast networks Bounce, Grit, Escape and Laff. Scripps produces original programming including "Pickler & Ben," runs an award-winning investigative reporting newsroom in Washington, D.C., and is the longtime steward of the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Founded in 1878, Scripps has held for decades to the motto, "Give light and the people will find their own way."
As an equal employment opportunity employer, The E.W. Scripps Company and its affiliates do not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis on race, sex, sexual orientation, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law. Furthermore, the company will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship for the company.