ABC15 in Phoenix is looking for innovative leaders to help oversee our cross-platform content gathering. Our Real-Time Editors act as the heart of our newsroom, responsible for story scouting, field crew management and digital producing for our web/mobile/social platforms. The position merges traditional assignment desk and web producing responsibilities into a new role focused on stories first and platform second.
• Identify breaking news in real-time and aggressively gather facts for cross-platform distribution.
• Acts as a research partner to field crews, helping to foster enterprise story news gathering.
• Write, edit and optimize digital story content and social media posts.
• Monitors station email and scanners to stay ahead of stories as they occur in the community.
• Oversee the completion of assignments, including planning, assigning, monitoring and reviewing progress.
Education & Experience/Certifications:
• BS/BA in Journalism or related discipline.
• Minimum 2 years of experience in content gathering and/or distribution background. Preferred focus in digital media, content management systems, basic HTML, image editing, web and TV-style writing and social networking.
Skills & Abilities:
• Excellent verbal, written and social media communication skills.
• Identifies key barriers/core problems and applies problem-solving skills in order to deal creatively with complex situations.
• Thinks strategically to be competitive and innovative in a crowded marketplace. Troubleshoots and resolves complex problems.
• Operates with considerable latitude; independently performs assignments to results expected; determines and develops approach to solutions.
• Working knowledge of industry technologies and practices.
• Computer skills including Microsoft Office, social media programs and newsroom computer systems, including iNews.
• Ability to collaborate well in a team and make decisions quickly during any type of coverage.
• Ability to work independently, and effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment by remaining calm under pressure.
The Perks at ABC15:
• A #thinkDIFFERENT culture that values new ideas, and actually acts on them.
• One of the most beautiful TV station buildings you'll ever work within!
• Voted BEST news website and BEST evening newscast in the Valley. We love to win, but we don't brag (too much).
• A place where your work gets seen and interacted with by millions of people each and every month.
• 300 sunny days each year, along with the best "winter" you'll ever experience!
• A culture that values leaders at every level and puts a premium on promoting from within.
• Generous paid time-off policies that start from day one.
• A commitment to YOUR health that includes full benefits and annual wellness incentives.
• A place where you can feel proud of where you work, knowing the station's commitment is to take action for our community and make Arizona a better place to live.
The E.W. Scripps Company (NYSE: SSP) serves audiences and businesses through a growing portfolio of television, radio and digital media brands. Scripps is one of the nation's largest independent TV station owners, with 33 television stations in 24 markets and a reach of nearly one in five U.S. households. It also owns 34 radio stations in eight markets. Scripps also runs an expanding collection of local and national digital journalism and information businesses, including multi-platform satire and humor brand Cracked, podcast industry leader Midroll Media and over-the-top video news service Newsy. Scripps also produces television shows including "THE LIST" and "The Now," runs an award-winning investigative reporting newsroom in Washington, D.C., and serves as the long-time steward of the nation's largest, most successful and longest-running educational program, the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Founded in 1878, Scripps has held for decades to the motto, "Give light and the people will find their own way."
As an equal employment opportunity employer, The E.W. Scripps Company and its affiliates do not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis on race, sex, sexual orientation, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law. Furthermore, the company will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship for the company.